27 C
Mumbai
Friday, July 19, 2024
spot_img

Fried rice syndrome: Brussels man dies after eating reheated pasta

After eating reheated spaghetti in tomato sauce, a 20-year-old man from Brussels died. The man died from food poisoning caused by the bacteria Bacillus cereus in a case of fried rice syndrome…

Pasta and spaghetti are popular in several countries, such as Italy. While it is generally seen as a healthy and full supper, it can go wrong in surprising ways.

In a frightening example, AJ, a 20-year-old Brussels man, died after eating reheated spaghetti in tomato sauce. The student had made spaghetti five days before and had kept it at room temperature in the kitchen. He microwaved it after school and ate the entire thing before going out to play. He soon developed nausea, stomach pain, and headaches.

He arrived home 30 minutes later and vomited severely. According to the Journal of Clinical Microbiology, he experienced watery diarrhoea and fell asleep at midnight. His parents were aware of the scenario the night before and went to check on him at 11 a.m. to find him dead.

The man passed away 10 hours after eating pasta at 4 a.m., according to an autopsy. Food poisoning was caused by Bacillus cereus. In addition, the boy had substantial centrilobular liver necrosis, which led his organs to shut down. Because the pasta was left outside for days, the bacteria multiplied exponentially, rising the toxic concentration to 14.8 g/g and killing the youngster.

What exactly is fried rice syndrome?

Despite the fact that the boy died in 2008, his story was brought to light in 2011 after the term “fried rice syndrome” went viral on TikTok. The term refers to food illness caused by consuming improperly kept reheated food. Rice, potatoes, and pasta are examples.

Uncooked food includes Bacillus cereus spores, which can withstand cooking. If left at room temperature, the same bacteria can thrive, proliferate, and cause diarrhoea. In this situation, a patient may become ill one to six hours after ingesting the item.

The longer cooked food is left at room temperature, the more probable germs will grow and make the dish dangerous to eat. Toxins can also develop in the intestines following eating, resulting in food poisoning 15 hours later. This can also happen with fish, meat, sauces, soups, and dairy products.

How can food be consumed safely?

According to the NHS, people must aim to serve rice as soon as cooked. If not consumed immediately, it must be chilled and refrigerated within an hour. Reheating it more than once is not recommended. Even if reheated, it should be boiling hot and should only be warmed once.

Conclusion

A 20-year-old guy from Brussels, died after eating reheated pasta in tomato sauce. The spaghetti had been made five days before and had been left at room temperature in the kitchen. He ate the spaghetti after school and had nausea, stomach pain, and headaches. He vomited a lot, had runny diarrhea, and fell asleep after midnight. AJ died 10 hours after eating the spaghetti from food poisoning caused by the bacteria Bacillus cereus, according to the autopsy. The boy’s condition was made public in 2011 when the term “fried rice syndrome” became popular on TikTok. The word refers to food illness induced by consuming improperly kept reheated foods such as rice, potatoes, and pasta. Uncooked food includes Bacillus cereus spores, which can survive cooking and cause diarrhea in one to six hours. The longer cooked food is left at room temperature, the more probable germs will grow and make the dish dangerous to eat. The NHS suggests serving rice as soon as it is prepared, cooling it within an hour, and not reheating it more than once.

Related Articles

Latest Articles