Good news to all the 400 million WhatsApp users in India. Facebook-owned Whatsapp is ready to roll the option of making payments through its social application program from 6th Nov 2020.
We all use WhatsApp messenger to stay in touch with family, office, and friends. It is the most commonly used app in India. But now this app is offering much more than just forwarding messages, pictures, etc. One can also use it for making Payments just like other digital payment landscape-Paytm, Amazon, Bhim app etc. It will be as easy as forwarding a message.
Starting On 5th November, the flagship payment processor of India, NPCI (National Payment Corporation of India) had given a green signal to Whatsapp on it’s UPI United Payments Interface. Users across India will be able to send money through this app. This is a secure payment process and the experience of transferring money through Whatsapp Payment is just as easy as sending a message. People can send/ receive money through Whatsapp contact without having to exchange cash in person or going to a local bank.
However, not all Whatsapp users in India (which is nearly 400 million) will be able to access the feature as NPCI has capped the expansion of WhatsApp’s UPI user base starting with a maximum registered user base of twenty million till date for an indefinite period. The company will try to make it available to everyone in near future.
Here are the few frequently asked questions about WhatsApp payment.
Q. Who can send/receive money through Whatsapp Payments?
Anyone who is currently using this application or have installed the app on their mobile. Even a new user can install the app and get registered. Use the latest version of Whatsapp to use this Payments feature on WhatsApp. The versions are available for people using both iPhone and Android app.
Q. What else do we need to send/receive money?
It’s necessary to have a bank account and debit card in India to send money on WhatsApp in India. There is no fee for using this payment and all leading banks cards can be used for this purpose including ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, the State Bank of India, and Jio Payments Bank.
You can send/receive money on WhatsApp to anyone using a UPI supported app. WhatsApp Payments runs on the Unified Payments Interface platform. User can transfer money immediately and instantly between bank accounts.
You don’t have to create a wallet. Just like every feature in WhatsApp, payments are designed with a strong set of security and privacy principles, including entering a personal UPI PIN for each payment.
Q. How to get started or set up payments feature on my WhatsApp?
The first thing one has to do is to link your bank account to this service. Remember to use that account which has the same phone number registered as used for your Whatsapp number. If you are using a UPI with your bank then the same will work for Whatsapp also. Even if one does have a UPI account with a bank, don’t worry. You can still use the option as the Whatsapp payment feature will generate a UPI is for you.
Follow these steps to get started-
1. Open WhatsApp from your mobile home screen.
2. From the three vertical dots on the top right corner of the app, Hit Payments.
3. Now Select option –Add new payment method.
4. Click on Accept and continue.
5. From the drop-down list, choose your preferred bank.
6. Once you choose the bank you will be asked to verify your phone number. For this Hit Verify via SMS to verify your bank account. ( (Remember to use the bank which has the same registered phone number which you are using for your Whatsapp)
7. Press the Allow option to let WhatsApp verify that the SIM card.
8. Select Allow again for WhatsApp to send texts to validate your account.
9. Wait for a few seconds to let WhatsApp verify with your registered bank, registered with your number. To finish setting up WhatsApp Pay, Tap Done.
You will now see the payment method listed on the payments page in the App
Q. How to receive and send money via WhatsApp Payments?
It’s a straightforward process. Sending and receiving money via WhatsApp is easy. Once you have set up the payment option as in above, you will see the payments option in the conversation window. This transferring money is as seamless as it can get:
1. Open the contact you want to send money.
2. select the in the chat window,
3. Tap Payment.
4. Enter the amount you’d like to send along with a reference note.
5. You will be asked to enter your UPI PIN.
6. After you enter the pin, you will receive a confirmation message showing up on the chat window once the transaction is performed.
Hurray! That’s it. Your transaction is done. The fact is that WhatsApp now lets you make sending and receiving money from your contacts easier than ever before.
Q. How secure is to use WhatsApp Payments?
Don’t worry at all. WhatsApp, payments is designed with a powerful pack of private and security principles, comprising of entering a private UPI PIN for each individual payment.
Use the latest version of Whatsapp to use this Payments feature on WhatsApp. The versions are available for people using both iPhone and Android app.